HUNTSVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT
815 Wheeler Avenue Huntsville, Alabama 35801
Interim Chief of Police
Communications Relations Officer
Huntsville Police Prepare Road Closings for the Big Spring Jam
(September 21-25, 2011)
Huntsville, Alabama (September 19, 2011)
The 2011 road closing plan for Big Spring Jam will be as follows:
Wednesday September 21:
(1) Beginning at 10:00 a.m. Williams Avenue from Church Street to Monroe Street will be closed for event set-up. At the same time the north end of Lowe Avenue at Williams Avenue will be closed.
(2) All lanes of Monroe Street will be closed from Clinton Avenue to Williams Avenue and south on Monroe Street to north of the round-a-bout, north of St. Clair Avenue. Access will be maintained to the Scruggs Community Center, the James A. Williams Aquatic Center and the Embassy Suites. Access to the Holiday Inn will be maintained from Lowe Avenue throughout the festival. Programmable message boards will be placed both at the round-a-bout and on Lowe Avenue with traffic direction information.
(3) Handicapped parking for the Big Spring Jam Festival will be clearly marked at all City parking garages and city parking lots. Additional Handicap Parking will be at the parking lots of the Scruggs Community Center and the James A. Williams Aquatic Center accessible from south Monroe Street.
(4) At 6:00 p.m. all lanes of Monroe Street will be closed from Holmes Avenue to Clinton Avenue; however, access to the businesses and the Greyhound Bus Station will be maintained throughout the festival.
Thursday September 22:
(1) At 10:00 a.m. all lanes of Clinton Avenue from Pollard Street to Church Street will be closed. Access to the businesses on Clinton Avenue will be maintained as per the timetable agreed upon by the businesses and the VBC until Friday when the street will be closed to all non-festival traffic.
(2) At 6:00 p.m. all lanes of Pollard Street from Holmes Avenue to Clinton Street will be closed except to the business employees of Big Spring Bottling Inc., VBC and Big Spring Jam Personnel.
(3) All road closures will remain in effect from the previous day.
Friday September 23: All road closures will remain in effect from the previous day.
Saturday September 24: All road closures will remain in effect from the previous day.
Sunday September 25:
(1) By 7:00 a.m. all streets will re-open except for Williams Avenue from Church Street to Monroe Street and Monroe Street from Clinton Avenue to Williams Avenue. Lowe Avenue at Williams Avenue will remain closed until Williams Avenue is opened.
(2) By 3:00 p.m. all streets will re-open for normal traffic again.
Note: Church Street from Clinton Street to Williams Avenue will remain open for normal traffic throughout this festival weekend. During the two-day festival HPD will post crossing personnel at three locations along Church Street for pedestrian safety across the road. These locations are Church @ Clinton, Church @ midway between Clinton and Williams, and Church @ Williams.
drivers in the downtown area over the weekend are encouraged to drive with
extreme caution and yield to pedestrians in the roadways and at designated