HUNTSVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT
815 Wheeler Avenue Huntsville, Alabama 35801
Interim Chief of Police
|Dr. Harry Hobbs|
Communications Relations Officer
Huntsville Police Announce
Memorial Day Safety Mobilization
“Click it or Ticket”
Huntsville, Alabama (May 21, 2012) Beginning May 21 through June 3, HPD Officers will be aggressively enforcing Alabama’s Seat Belt Laws. In 2012 the use of seat belts in passenger vehicles saved an estimated 12,546 lives. Seat belts have saved an average of 69,000 lives during the 5-year period from 2006 to 2010. Both drivers and front passengers are required to wear seatbelts according to Alabama State Law.
Remember these key child safety restraint tips:
· Children 5 & under are required to be transported in a child passenger restraint system.
· Children are required to use a rear-facing child safety seat until they are at least 1 year of age or 20 pounds.
· Children are required to use a forward-facing child safety seat until they are at least 5 years of age or weigh 40 pounds.
· Children are required to use a booster seat until they are 6 years of age.
· Seat belts until 15 years of age are required for all passengers! (Al. Sec. 32-5-222)
The Huntsville Police Department will be joining hundreds of Law Enforcement
agencies nationwide May 21-June 3, who vowed support of the annual “Click it or
Ticket” highway safety mobilization campaign. These high visibility educational
campaigns have been credited with increasing the Nations seatbelt usage rate
from 58% in 1994 to 84% in 2009.
For more information on seatbelt safety go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/PEAK